Multiple Google Notifier instances for multiple accounts on Mac OS X
I use Google Notifier to have my Gmail account checked for new mail periodically and automatically. I have a secondary Gmail account that I don't use that often but that I would like to have notifier check as well. Unfortunately, Google Notifier currently supports a single Gmail account only. Here's a simple hack that works well for a few gmail accounts. In a nutshell, you need to clone the application package and modify the bundle id in the clone's
- Copy the Google Notifier application from
Applicationsto a temporary location.
- Rename the copy to something like
Google Notifier 2.
- Move the renamed copy back to
- Right click the copy and select Show package content.
- Inside the
contentsfolder, double click the
Info.plistfile. It should open in Property List Editor.
- Change the value of
com.google.GmailNotifier2. Use only digits or letters, no spaces or other characters.
- Save the property list with Command-S and close it.
- Go back to /Applications and double click the Google Notifier 2 application clone you just created. It should start and ask you for your Google account credentials. Fill those in and you will see a second notifier icon in you task bar.
Modifying the bundle identifier causes the application to use a separate preferences file for storing the account information.